Wednesday 12 March 2008

Simple vegetable pulao

Pulao is not one of my favorite meals to cook because I have never been happy with the result, no matter how many various recipes I have tried. I was pleasantly surprised then, when this method, that I just put together as I went along, turned out very well. My daughter has been eating mainly wheat and potatoes the last few days and so I was happy when she polished this off in no time, and fell asleep right after! While the list of ingredients may seem long, I call it simple because it is a one-pot meal and was done in under 20 mins.

Simple vegetable pulao
Age when introduced: 13 months

Ingredients
1 cup Basmati rice, washed and drained
2 1/2 cups of water
2 baby carrots, chopped
1/4 small cauliflower, separate florets
1 tsbp green peas (fresh or frozen)
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 small green chilli, chopped fine
2 cloves
1 cardomom
1 small bay leaf
1 small piece of cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
juice of 1/3 lemon
salt to taste
oil or ghee for frying

Method
Heat 1 tsp oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. Add the whole spices (clove, cardomom, cinnamon, bay leaf). Add the washed and drained rice and saute on high heat till u hear a cracking sound from the rice, about 3-4 minutes. Remove and keep aside. Heat 1 tsp oil or ghee in the cooker again. Add cumin seeds, when they pop, add green chillies and onions and saute till onions begin to turn brown. Add the vegetables (carrot, peas, tomatoes, cauliflower). Since cauliflower cooks easily you can add that last. Add the turmeric and garam masala and mix well. Fry for 2-3 mins. Add hot water and bring to a boil. Add the rice, lemon juice and salt to taste. Cover and cook. Instead of putting the weight on the pressure cooker, I just placed an inverted cup, so that I could open and check whether it was done or more water was needed, etc. Cook until the rice is done. Serve with plain yoghurt and cucumber.

No comments: