Friday 14 March 2008

Strawberry Jam

In my excitement yesterday, I did what I told myself I wouldnt do - bought fruits from the local market. My experience so far has been, that vegetables from the market are fine, but fruits are always over-ripe and do not stay for more than 1-2 days. I bought 3 packs of strawberries, they were just 1 quid, u couldnt blame me! Today I saw they were beginning to go bad. Now, I like strawberries, but I am not such a fan as to polish off 3 packs at one sitting. I had to do something, the strawberries had to go into some wonderful recipe.
The first thought I had was Foodie Mama's strawberry ice cream. Simple, and DH would have been delighted. But, lil darling and I have been down with a bad cold and cough for more than a week. So ice cream was out of the question.
Googled for all kinds of recipes using strawberries and the only one which I had ingredients at home for and was in the mood to try out was strawberry jam. The recipe is mind-numbingly simple. Taking a cue from Foodie Mama again, I substituted sugar with honey, but midway panic struck when I felt the jam wasnt beginning to set as it should. So in went a few spoons of sugar.
I am not a jam aficionado so the end result according to me is 'quite good'. Am waiting to see what DH has to say. Till then, here's the recipe. You will find the measurements are all very vague, and actually I am not sure it will turn out the same way the next time. But hey, this is the first time I have made something like jam, you think I will resist blogging about it? :-)

Strawberry Jam
Ingredients
2 handful strawberries
honey or sugar to taste
juice of 1 lemon

Method
Remove the stalk and other green parts from the strawberries. Put in a bowl and mash. Transfer strawberries to a large saucepan. Add juice of lemon. Heat until it starts rapidly boiling. At this stage add the honey or sugar. I would suggest adding some sugar in any case, since I am not certain if it would set otherwise. Keep stirring while it is boiling until it reaches setting consistency (see note below). Turn off heat. Cool and transfer to sterilised bottle. Refrigerate.

(Note: To check if jam has reached setting point, place a plate in the freezer. After 10 mins of boiling, spread 1 tsp of jam on the plate and put it backin the freezer for a minute. Take it out and run ur finger thru the middle. The jam should stay and the sides should not flow back to merge. If not, keep boiling for some more time and repeat.)

No comments: